Tuesday, October 27, 2009

How do I put this in nice terms...

How do I say this without sounding mean....but...really, if you're ruining your friend's day by going on and on about your terrible life...shut it! There are hundreds of thousands of millions and billions and gazillions of kids and adults who have a million times worse lives than you. One of my partners in crime at the Ronald McDonald House in Palo Alto, Jacklyn, also had a kidney transplant. While I was down in Palo Alto yesterday getting an IV infusion, my mom and I ran into Jacklyn's mom. She is the most talkative person we know..and she only said a few things.
After we asked how they were, she responded,"not too well, back in PICU." That was all she said. (PICU- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.) At that time, my mom and I didn't know exactly how bad she meant. After a transplant, if you're back in PICU, things aren't looking too good. It's very sad. Be Thankful you have working organs.

Everyone has a story. What's yours? There is always a story worse than yours. You must remember that there is always a worse story than yours. What's the worst thing that has happened to you? For me, I would say nothing. Now, ofcourse I am not saying my life is perfect. I have had a successful heart surgery. My surgeon told my mother, "I can definitly fix her heart. I'm not sure if I can give her her life back."
I had a spinal fusion. They put titanium rods in my back to make it straight. I have had a successful kidney transplant. My aunt saved my life. Too add to all of that, I have juene syndrome. Oh, and I have a narrow rib cage, so it's harder for me to breathe. My life is pretty great. Why don't you look at your life that way sometime? Compared to lots of kids, I have a great life.

I know of a girl who has a liver problem. Her immune system attacked her liver. She had stomach problems and flu-like symptoms for about 10 years. She is in the hospital right now, she won't talk or eat. I remember talking to her dad at Ronald's house and he said he hopes they[the doctors] find what's wrong with her.

So, think now: Do you have a good life?

3 comments:

  1. You are such a bright light! What a true and honest message you have for us. You're right; my life is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I have a wonderful life too because of the wonderful people in my life, including you! Thanks for helping us keep our blessings in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just returned tonight from my old neighbor's house in Newport Beach. I stayed with her kids while she was in the hospital having surgery to remove a tumor on her adrenal gland. Next, she'll have chemotherapy. And you know what? She's not complaining either! When you have something really big happen as your worst thing - it helps give you a much broader perspective. Not that we want bad stuff to happen to people, it's just that when it does, life seems to get better. Just like you said in your post. The hard part is not to be critical of the people who haven't had difficult life experiences - cause the worst thing they know is their worst, not ours. I'm gonna ponder that for a while... xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think of this post and I look forward to hearing your story! :-)