Sunday, August 22, 2010

One Awesome Day

The day started with waking up at 6:30 and driving to McDonald's where we rode our bikes to Shadow Cliffs to watch some of our friends in a small triathlon. It then continued in to riding home, and going to one place that my whole family loves: Starbucks! My dad and I played a couple rounds of my favorite game, chess where my castle lost their king a couple of times. (But don't worry, the king was not killed, just injured. He plans to be up and fighting again by tomorrow and he'll win next time). Anyway, the day continued with a lazy home day. We had been planing to go to the A's game. It was Donate Life night, and since I had a kidney transplant I was invited to go out on the field. I didn't really know what I was going to do out on the field, but I was still excited. We were invited to a barbecue where there were two men, Rob Combi and Jim Leahey who organized it. Rob told us what was going to happen. I was going to go out on the field, and run to a player that I was assigned to. We were to stay out there for the National Anthem and then get a ball signed and run back. I was very nervous.

After eating a lovely veggie burger, we were told that it was time. We walked down a couple flights of stairs and down, down, down, down! Finally, we were at the edge of the field. We were guiding by a lady named Melissa. She told us where each of us were going, and I was supposed to go to left field. I asked many questions because I did not want to run to the wrong place. And so, when Melissa told all of us (other kids who had transplants and me) to run, I ran to left field. However, there was no one there, and so I was supposed to run to center field. I was frustrated for a while, but now I realize that instead of being mad that I ran to the wrong place, I should feel fortunate because I got to run on the A's baseball field from left field to center field. :)

After all of that, I got to the guy who I was assigned to. I didn't really know much about the A's team, but after I realized that I was standing next to Rajai Davis during the National Anthem. He signed my baseball, and I ran back.





And that was a day I'll never forget. (:

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I enjoyed reading your recap of the experience. It was great to see you out on the field! Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, Kelsey- it was great to see your facebook photos and the recap here on your blog. what a memorable experience!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think of this post and I look forward to hearing your story! :-)