Monday, January 25, 2010

Inspiration

One of my favorite things is not a material thing. One of my favorite things is inspiration. Inspiration comes from anything you want it to come from. Mostly for me, it is a song or if I spend a day out in nature. It's amazing how a song, a place, or even a certain smell can make you feel. If you listened to a song while you were somewhere that you either loved or hated, it'll atomatically make you feel like you're there. Even doing things. When I was first in the hospital this summer, getting my H.D. catheter in, I played a lot of Webkinz games. Now when ever I play them I feel as if I am in the hospital room. This doesn't bring good--or bad feelings (its very hard to explain)



Whenever I am in nature, I feel the need to draw it. It's my way of expressing my feelings. I want my paintings and sketches to reach out to people and have them feel the inspiration that I had while drawing. I try to draw things that have to do with my experiences, to show people what I'm like.

You'd think a person like me would be okay with blood and stuff like that--NO WAY! I am the most anti-blood person you could meet. I would never never never be a surgeon, or even a doctor, at that. Anything having to do with blood creeps me out because I know how needles and pokes feel. You mention one thing about any sort of port, tube, needle, or catheter and I cringe. Even just now, I was looking up any sort of picture I could put on this post, and I typed in "dialysis" on Google, and I just can't bear it!

A lot has happened in my life, in just a short period of time. Time moves so fast, and good, bad, horrible, terrible, exciting, thrilling, and devastating things can and will happen that will change your life forever. What has happened to you? For me, the risk of losing my freedom is always there to haunt me if I don't take care of myself. If I don't take my medicine, drink the correct amount of water, and follow up on anything new or different about the way I feel to my doctors, I could loose my kidney, and lose my freedom because I would have to go back on dialysis. Dialysis--you'd never, ever know what that's like until you've had it. I am actually proud to say I lived through a month of dialysis, and successfully got off of it. What has happened to you? What are you proud of? Think about it.

(Picture taken by my sis, me on dialysis)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration Kelsey - and the reminder to live in the moment because we never know what might happen that could change our lives forever. For me, that happened when I was in college. I was in a car accident that required an extended hospital stay and lots of surgery. On the day I left the hospital, I remember thinking that the color of the grass on the lawn out front was the most beautiful green I had ever seen! And I have carried that inspiration with me, as a reminder of how much I appreciate my ability to go outside - to have a strong body (not a perfect body!) that will take me out to do and see whatever I dream of seeing. As you know, when you have that perspective, every day is incredible - even and often especially - when it's raining! Rainbows are everywhere... if you have eyes to see. Love, Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been fortunate my whole life. I've never had major surgery, never been in a serious car accident that injured me, never broken a bone. Sure, I crashed my bike recently and my shoulder is a little out of whack, but I can still cycle and run as far as my desire takes me.

    Perhaps ironically, much of what I have been able to experience about life and gratitude and inspiration has come from seeing YOU come through all of your health challenges.

    Along with losing my father to cancer, your experiences have reminded me what is important in life--that we need to take a moment each day and be thankful for today, to remember that while we need keep learning and make good decisions to ensure our future, the actual living of life isn't a rehearsal for the future. Being here on earth and being alive is about what is happening each moment, and about making sure each moment is the best it can be.

    Thanks for this post about inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think of this post and I look forward to hearing your story! :-)